Popular Posts

Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Do you know the only thing that gives me pleasure? It's to see my dividends coming in." - John D. Rockefeller

I would have to concur with J.D. that receiving dividends is one of the most enjoyable experiences an investor can have. Like most people, I don't like seeing my stocks get hammered, but I have faith that they will eventually rebound. Knowing that I will receive a dividend keeps me from doing something foolish - like selling in a panic!

This is one of the chief benefits of dividend stocks - they help you stay calm when everyone around you is gripped by fear. Experts agree that keeping your emotions under control is one of the most crucial prerequisites for becoming a successful investor.  What else do I like about dividends?

You're rewarded for laziness
 
When you have a job, you usually have to show up to get paid. Not so with dividends. Even if you sleep in until noon, the company still pays you. And nobody will haul you down to HR for a chat.

Your 'salary' will grow

By focusing on companies that raise their dividends - pipelines, power producers, banks and well-known consumer-goods companies, as well as DRIPs - you can be fairly certain that your income will grow over time. This protects you from the effects of inflation.

You get income AND growth

A common misconception about dividend stocks is that they're stodgy, slow-growth companies. Not true. RBC Dominion Securities reviewed data going back to 1946 and found "a strong positive link between dividend payment and prospective earnings growth." What's more, a dividend strategy has proven successful in beating benchmark returns in almost every decade since the 1930s." True, occasionally a dividend-growth company flames out - Yellow Media Inc., anyone? - but most Canadian banks, utilities, pipelines and global consumer companies keep chugging along.

You benefit from compounding

Harnessing the power of compounding is another important element in a successful investing strategy. This is a snap, thanks to dividend reinvestment plans that automatically use your dividends to purchase additional shares - which means I'm buying at the best time - when prices are down.

You get paid to wait

You often hear this when a stock has been going sideways or losing for a while, and it's true: As long as the dividend cheques keep coming, it's easier to ride out stock market drops, such as the one we're experiencing now. In fact, as bad as things seem, I'm feeling quite a bit of a pleasure!






No comments:

Post a Comment